Sunday, February 21, 2010

Man Vs. Food--Carter Style

The first thing that came to my mind (I think Trey's too) when we planned this vacation to Red River, NM was our stopover in Amarillo. We watch a lot of the Travel Channel and Food Network...both of which have featured the Big Texan restaurant in Amarillo. They have this big foodie challange: 72 ounce steak dinner FREE...IF you eat it in an hour or less. The whole bit and caboodle--72 ounce steak, shrimp cocktail, side salad, and a dinner roll. I have a lot of faith in my husband for anything with eating challenges. I have seen him almost swallow a large pan crust Supreme pizza whole--I mean seriously, it was gone in about 10 minutes. I figured this challenge was in the bag.

Last night was the moment of truth for Trey and his 72 ounce steak challenge at the Big Texan in Amarillo. We knew that if nothing else, it would be entertaining to watch Trey tackle the ginormous steak and sides. So, off we went!
Mimi and Colin on our way over to the Big Texan! Colin looks a little scared for his Daddy!
Mom and Dad
Trey, C-Man, and me
Signing the waiver...yes, there are official rules and a waiver to complete! I think the worry is setting in! Not to mention being worried about the $72 to pay for the steak up front. I think he was making the price tag his biggest motivation to finish!
Game face is on and hearing the rules. Look at all that food he has to eat!!!!!!! I think that steak looks like a bicycle seat!

So....did he do it??????Sadly, no...but, I'm so proud of all he ate! This little bit on the right side of the plate is all that's left...about 5-6 ounces is all that was left of a 72 ounce steak! He ate 66.4 ounces of steak, and ALL the sides!!! I couldn't believe it! I think if he'd been just a little hungrier, he could've pulled it off! Way to go, Trey!!! I don't know anybody else who could pull off that challenge as well as you did!

Now, I'm off to enjoy the rest of my vacation...skiing tomorrow! Everybody enjoy your week!

3 comments:

  1. OMG was he in a food coma afterward?! hahaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracks my stuff up!!!! Man Vs Food may have compition in Trey! Way to go Trey! I am full just looking at all that food! Hope yall are having a blast on the rest of your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mars--pretty much! Ha! He did say he doesn't ever want to eat another steak his whole life!

    Thanks, Ashley! We've had a great time!

    ReplyDelete